We hold contracts with several Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) to provide IVF funded by the NHS. We apply to the CCG for funding on an individual patient basis. The CCG informs us how many treatment cycles the couple are eligible to have. This differs for each CCG. Your CCG depends upon which GP you are registered with. All CCG’s which provide funding for IVF have contracts with a particular hospital or hospitals, so it is important to make sure that couples are referred to the correct hospital to avoid delay.
We hold contracts with the following CCG’s: Islington, Camden and The Northwest London Consortium (which consists of Harrow, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Brent, Ealing Hammersmith and Fulham, West London and Central London CCGs).
The following eligibility criteria must be met for all of the above CCG’S:
- Body mass index (BMI) between 19-30 (inclusive).
- Both members of the couple must be non-smokers (NWL CCGs stipulate that they must have been non-smokers for at least 6 months)
- Neither partner may have had a sterilisation procedure in the past
- There must be no children from the current relationship (for those CCGs covered by the North West London Consortium neither partner may have a child, including those from previous relationships)
- Treatment must take place before the females 40th birthday (for patients that belong to NWL CCG) or 42nd birthday (for patients that belong to Islington and Camden CCGs). Please consult with your GP or contact your CCG regarding the number of cycles you are entitled to as they will vary after your 40th birthday.
If patients do not meet their CCG’s criteria then NHS funding is not available to them and therefore we cannot offer them treatment. If their BMI is outside the accepted range or they are smoking they will be discharged from clinic and their GP asked to re-refer them when they meet the criteria.
Funding from the CCGs for IVF in our unit is as follows;
- Camden- 3 fresh IVF cycles and 3 frozen cycles
- Islington- 2 fresh cycles
- North West London- 1 fresh cycle and 1 frozen cycle
Please note that if a couple have already had some self-funded (private) cycles they may not be eligible for NHS funding, or only be funded for a reduced number of cycles. Please contact your CCG for further information.
We are unable to treat patients that do not belong to one of the above CCG’s, those patients should to be referred to the hospital with whom their CCG holds a contract. You can find out in which hospital you can have treatment from your GP or by calling your local CCG. Please be aware that if you move house or GP from an area covered by one CCG to an area covered by another it may affect where you are eligible for treatment, and how many and what kind of treatment cycles you are entitled to, again your GP or the appropriate CCGs will be able to advise you on this.